nALFS & make -j

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 15 20:27:19 PST 2004

Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:

> You can't blame the codebase, only make and the packages build
> framework.

That's what I was trying to say in my over-wordly way :-)

Also, when a "make -j" blows up, it's frequently difficult to tell where
the problem really occurred because one or more of the make child jobs
will continue running and producing successful results. When it finally
dies the actual error could be long gone off the screen; in nALFS, that
could mean a lot of back-scrolling to figure out what happened.
Certainly someone who wants to play with parallel makes should know
enough to be able to deal with this, but it's another reason not to put
into the official profile.