nALFS & make -j

uriah uriah-lfs at tempestnetworks.net
Thu Jan 15 15:03:48 PST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> uriah wrote:
>
> > 	http://www.freewebs.com/uriah/lfs-smp.patch.bz2
> >
> > Apply this file to within nALFS-1.2.1/profile/LFS/, edit the value of
> > &cc_parallel in general.ent, and the parallel compiling hint should do the
> > rest.  I must admit though, my machine is still chugging away so I am not
> 100%
> > sure that I broke nothing, but I think that I followed the  hint to the
> > letter.
>
> I don't believe we'll put this into the official profile, since it is
> not part of the LFS book. There are some problems with certain packages

Doubted it would make it into the mainline, but someone with SMP or HT
would probably find it usefull.

> being built using "make -j", and this would mean that the profile
> maintainers would have to be aware of those problem packages and modify
> the profile accordingly. While this is not a problem to do one time
> (copying the relevant information from the hint), if it was in the
> official profile it would become an ongoing maintenance task, and
> someone would have to check every single package upgrade to ensure that
> it did not suddenly need to be excluded from "make -j" usage.

<devils advocate>
Wouldn't such an event usualy signify a loss of stability in the package's
codebase, causeing one to wonder why such was put into a non-development
release of LFS?  Or could it signify that what was thought to be stable was
actualy just a fluke? That alone should be more of a reason to put it in than
to take it out.
</devils advocate>

<real life>
No time to volunteer for anything, so forget I said a peep...
</real life>

-uriah