nALFS & make -j

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jan 15 14:04:14 PST 2004

uriah wrote:

> Must apologize up front as I have never bothered to look at XML befor, but I
> decided that the profile that came with nALFS-1.2.1 needed the following
> change made to it.

Thanks for the offer, but...

> 	http://www.freewebs.com/uriah/lfs-smp.patch.bz2
>
> Apply this file to within nALFS-1.2.1/profile/LFS/, edit the value of
> &cc_parallel in general.ent, and the parallel compiling hint should do the
> rest.  I must admit though, my machine is still chugging away so I am not 100%
> sure that I broke nothing, but I think that I followed the  hint to the
> letter.

I don't believe we'll put this into the official profile, since it is
not part of the LFS book. There are some problems with certain packages
being built using "make -j", and this would mean that the profile
maintainers would have to be aware of those problem packages and modify
the profile accordingly. While this is not a problem to do one time
(copying the relevant information from the hint), if it was in the
official profile it would become an ongoing maintenance task, and
someone would have to check every single package upgrade to ensure that
it did not suddenly need to be excluded from "make -j" usage.