setting up the default keymap in chapter06/configure.xml

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 13 10:53:33 PST 2004

Thomas Pegg wrote:

> This applies to both the 5.0 and CVS profiles, currently we do two
> things regarding the keymap set the symlink and also compile it into the
> kernel, from what I read in the LFS book these steps are completely
> optional, I can see where the symlink is useful for those that use a
> keyboard different than the standard us keyboard, but is it necessary to
> force the keymap to be compiled into the kernel. I think maybe it should
> be commented out, and a note put there and in the README to say that if
> you wish to compile the keymap into the kernel then uncomment this
> section.

I agree, I have never left this stuff in my own profiles (but then I'm
an i386-US user, so the default keymap is fine for me anyway). If it's
optional in the book, then it should be optional in the profile, and for
now the only way we can achieve that is by leaving it as comments and
referring to it in README, as you suggested.