suggestion

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 27 20:07:14 PST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
>
>> That and the path to the DTD file like we do in the book.
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
>> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
>>         "/usr/share/xml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.2/docbookx.dtd"
>

> I've never had the chance to read about all this stuff that goes into
> the DOCTYPE element. I also don't think it will be necessary here; while
> I will certainly produce a DTD for the log files so that they can be
> validated, I don't think it will need to be used at runtime.

You can put anything you want in there.  That is what is so cool about
it.  It really comes down to the difference between well formed xml and
validated xml.  See this link:

http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_dtd.asp

If you write the log files using a well formed syntax, that is great and
you can write nALFS to parse it.  if you want the app to validate that
the log file syntax meets the dtd (is validated) then you need the dtd
and the doctype entry so that when you have nALFS validate the log
against the dtd, it knows what it up.  This is the same as what we have
in the profiles today:

<!DOCTYPE alfs SYSTEM "nalfs.dtd" [

You are also right that it is not really needed at runtime, but I would
put it in there so that if/when a full parser is written or if we want
to provide xslt stylesheets for conversion we can.  This sets us up to
do just about anything down the road.

James