LFS-5.1-Pre1 and CC environment var with util-linux

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 16 05:48:04 PST 2004

Verstegen Frans wrote:

>   CC=${CC-cc}

As I replied the first time you posted this message on lfs-support, this
does _not_ require that CC be set. This shell fragment tells the shell
to set CC to "cc" but only if it does not already have a value.

> The LFS-5.1-pre1 book does not define the CC variable, the LFS-5.1-pre1
> profile sets this variable to ''.
> The configure script finds an empty CC definition, so the compiler
> will be set to '' (empty).

This is incorrect.

> Should CC be defined for this package ?

No, the profile works the way it is.

> Does alfs allow an "unset env" ?

Yes, the profile can do this:

<environment>
   <variable name="foo"></variable>
</environment>

which will unset the variable named foo.