LFS-5.1-Pre1 and CC environment var with util-linux

Verstegen Frans verfr_pub at bluewin.ch
Sun Feb 15 21:21:46 PST 2004

I use the excellent LFS-5.1-pre1 profile from the nAlfs team with a
homebrew perl script for generating my lfs.

All packages configure/compile/install according the book until the
util-linux-2.12 package. If I understand correctly, the configure script
from this package needs a CC environment variable pointing to the gcc
compiler:

--
   CC=${CC-cc}
   CFLAGS=${CFLAGS-"-O2"}

   DEFS=
   LIBS=
   compile='$CC $CFLAGS $DEFS conftest.c -o conftest...
   compile_with_warnings='$CC $CFLAGS $DEFS conftest...
   static_compile='$CC -static $DEFS conftest.c -o c...
   eval COMPILE='"'$compile'"'
   export COMPILE
--

The LFS-5.1-pre1 book does not define the CC variable, the LFS-5.1-pre1
profile sets this variable to ''.

Should CC be defined for this package ?
Does alfs allow an "unset env" ?

Frans