[RFC] nALFS package log files

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 10 19:45:18 PST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Comments? Questions? Is this too much, too little?

1./ Are you still looking to use the installwatch lib to get a list of
files installed by each package or continue with the double-find method
currently used?  What other options do we have?

2./ Will nALFS provide a function for someone to parse the logs to see
what packages they installed or have been installed by nALFS?
Essentially a reporting module.  I see the reporting module as a major
value-add feature if we do it.  A person can see what has been
installed, find out what package a file is part of with a query, how
long a package takes to install, how long all the packages took to
install, etc.  I know I would use the heck out of it!

3./ Are we going to put these logs in a perm location on the file system
- for example /var/log/nALFS/ or something to that effect?

4./ What if you re-install a package via nALFS, will it overwrite the
old log file or append to show an admin that is has been installed more
than once and when?  If it is, can we have nALFS ask to put a comment in
as to why it was re-installed? This can help a lot with change
management, have the log contain a lot of that info.  How about a
<comment> tag period?

5./ Will the log DTD be a member of the main DTD?  Does it need
documentation (rhetorical q)?

6./ Will the <output> and </output> tags contain both stdout and stderr
in the same place or can we split it out to <output fd="stderr"> and
<output fd="stdout"> or something?  Probably would help #2 - log parser.

7./ Why not just <package> as opposed to <package_run>?  Seems easier to me.

8./ Why not <command_executed> as opposed to <handler>?  I would like to
know what command was passed to the system.  On second thought, I see
where <handler> can be useful, but would still like to know the command
sent to the shell.

9./ Is <stage> a regurtigation of what is in the profile for <stage
name="">?

10./ Do we want to log the md5 and tarball used?

11./ If we log the source location, how about destination
(--prefix=/foo/bar)?

12./ I am confused on where <files> comes in.  I would think that it
would be the last set of tags for a <package_run></package_run>.  Every
"kit" should include it, even if no files where written. The tags would
contain a "No files installed" or something message.  Would it handle
changed/modified files?  How do we differentiate between "installed" or
"changed"?  I would want to know this.  What package and/or stage "owns"
a file, but also know what package and/or stages modify an existing file

13./ If we end or have a <end status="error"> where is the error message
placed?

whew, that is enough for now - LOL.

James