ALFS Limited to LFS Only?

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 5 09:40:53 PST 2004

Alex Potter wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:58:37 -0600, James Robertson thusly spake in
> <40225A1D.3080809 at linuxfromscratch.org>:
>
>>You should probably use XSLT.  Also, the LFS Book is working on a new
>>XML style to make parsing out the data needed for nALFS profiles easier
>>with XSLT which may negate your work.  I would not want you to spend a
>>ton of hours working on something that may be no good.
>
> Is the new XML going to be used for BLFS too?

I am not sure if Larry has decided or not.  I'll bet he does because
BLFS has a lot of parallel needs as LFS.  Right now the newxml is
vaporware as only one person is actively on it.  If you have some time,
I would subscribe to lfs-book and lfs-dev, read the archives on the
newxml stuff and give Matt Burgess some help.  With more than one person
on the job there, we can get the newxml structure in place which will
bleed over to nALFS as we ill use the new files to pull profiles with XSLT.

>>There is also lfscmd which parses the data out now and makes shell
>>scripts.  Those might be easier to parse to nALFS profiles than pulling
>>from the XML source.
>
> I'd seen mention of lfscmd, but never managed to find it.  Does it work on
> BLFS? Do you have a link for it?

You can pull it from anon cvs at:

cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.linuxfromscratch.org:/home/cvsroot
checkout LFS/lfscmd

I believe it does work on BLFS.

>>Just some thoughts.
>
> Thanks James. I certainly don't want to waste time on something that would
> be of no use to the community...maybe its time to have a look at XSLT?

Glad to help.
James