ALFS Limited to LFS Only?

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 5 06:58:37 PST 2004

Alex Potter wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:20:33 +0000, Jamie Bennett thusly spake in
> <2130109F889CD5119FAD0050BA6F2D6B1C5E94 at SERVER>:
>
>>If you could pull that off then of course we would be interested. How
>>are you trying to accomplish this?
>>

> Only just begun to look at the problem.
>
> The generation of the package profiles appears quite straightforward - all
> the necessary information is contained in the entity declarations in the
> BLFS sources on a per-package basis, which in turn point to the files that
> need to be parsed for that package. If I understood XSLT, then it would be
> even easier to convert the XML into a profile....as it is, I'm using Java
> - its nearly 20 years since I did any C programming and those skills are
> somewhat rusty.
>
> I am aware that there are some packages which are not named according to
> the apparent convention 'name-version.tar.bz2/gz/tgz', but IIRC they are
> few in number and can be marked as exceptions and processed accordingly.
>
> Regards

You should probably use XSLT.  Also, the LFS Book is working on a new
XML style to make parsing out the data needed for nALFS profiles easier
with XSLT which may negate your work.  I would not want you to spend a
ton of hours working on something that may be no good.

There is also lfscmd which parses the data out now and makes shell
scripts.  Those might be easier to parse to nALFS profiles than pulling
from the XML source.

Just some thoughts.
James