ALFS Limited to LFS Only?

Alex Potter spambin at apcuk.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 5 00:49:21 PST 2004

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:46:18 -0500, Bill's LFS Login thusly spake in
<Pine.LNX.4.58.0402031939310.13707 at jyzysf04.jyzpf.pbz>:

> I suspect that the archives contain discussions about this. Off the top
> of my head, I recall that BLFS is not installed "end-to-end", as is LFS.
> This makes generation of "standard" profiles much less useful because
> each user has his own "target" configuration.
>
> IIRC, there is also an issue of complexity (disregarding the above) and
> timeliness because BLFS contains so many more packages and they tend to
> have a very high rate of change and more complex dependencies. Sometimes
> the changes are in dependencies, sometimes in install instructions.
>
> Having said all that, I don't feel anyone would object if some ambitious
> volunteers generated some profiles for BLFS stuff and contributed them.
>
> But I would suspect that the regular team members would want to avoid
> this (and I would recommend they avoid it unless we had a lot more team
> members).

I'm currently working on a program ( in my idle moments) to parse the BLFS
book sources to generate nALFS profiles for all the packages, resolving
dependencies where necessary.

Would there be any interest in such a beastie?

--
Alex Potter

The email address above is a spamtrap.
Please reply to alexp -at- apcuk -dot- dyndns -dot- org