ALFS Limited to LFS Only?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Tue Feb 3 16:46:18 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Michael Kipper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that even though the name of this project is Automated Linux From
> Scratch, it should still encompass the entire LFS project as a whole.
> That being said, the Beyond Linux From Scratch profiles should be included
> as well in the main profile download dir.
> It's a pain to get them on an LFS system, if you have to go out and get the
> CVS version, which you never know if it's broken or something.
> I think there should be BLFS profile releases as well.
>
> Any thoughts?

I suspect that the archives contain discussions about this. Off the top
of my head, I recall that BLFS is not installed "end-to-end", as is LFS.
This makes generation of "standard" profiles much less useful because
each user has his own "target" configuration.

IIRC, there is also an issue of complexity (disregarding the above) and
timeliness because BLFS contains so many more packages and they tend to
have a very high rate of change and more complex dependencies. Sometimes
the changes are in dependencies, sometimes in install instructions.

Having said all that, I don't feel anyone would object if some ambitious
volunteers generated some profiles for BLFS stuff and contributed them.

But I would suspect that the regular team members would want to avoid
this (and I would recommend they avoid it unless we had a lot more team
members).

> Michael Kipper
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bill Maltby