nALFS on Alpha

Richard Betel emteeoh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 18:07:38 PST 2004

Hey!

I'm trying to use nALFS 1.2.2 with LFS 6.0 on a DEC Alpha currently
running an old debian.

I've run into few problems

1) The build really didn't go smoothly. Ultimately, I got it to build
by setting LDFLAGS to
"-lform -lncurses". Not a big deal, but since configure was clearly
doing tests against both
these libraries, I don't understand why it was necessary

2) I ran checkit on LFS.xml, and it came up with 4 errors. They all
appear to be that the XML
DTD does not allow for an empty <alfs></alfs>, which happens in the
strip.xml files in chapter
5 and 6, and in the keymap files in the config/ directory. I just
uncommented out the
comments, and checkit stopped complaining.

3) I then run ". ./runit" and nALFS starts, and then segfaults while
parsing LFS.xml . The log
file in /root/.nALFS/nalfs.log has no detail, and I can't seem to get
any verbose output, like
maybe where the parsing is failing.

I've ground to a halt there. Can anyone suggest what to try next?

I should mention that I am running libxml2 version 2.2.16.