language choice of alfs

Timothy Bauscher timothy at hive-project.org
Thu Dec 23 10:26:10 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 04:47:24PM -0500, Hui Zhou wrote:
<snip>
> IIRC, moongoo appears as a POC that commands can be directly extracted
> from LFS book. As the behavior goes, I couldn't tell the difference
> between moongoo and lfscmd. When I asked this question on the list,
> Boris Buegling replies that the difference (between moongoo and
> lfscmd) is moongoo parses the command into usable structures and it
> supports 4 syntaxes and it has the new paralell thingy. My further
> queries were ignored.
>
> The usable structures I assume is in alfs.h, not much beyond lfscmd
> offers at that point. 4 syntaxes is lfsbook, nalfs tools, and what
> else?

Syn is a simple syntax from Hive and ASS is Boris' simpler syntax.

<snip>
> So moongoo as it stands is just a profile parser. There is no official
> profiles yet unless the default is still nALFS profile (Any final
> say?) nALFS contains quite some structures and hierarchies, how are
> they treated in moongoo? Someone please say something on the official
> profile so we can further talk about how much code base moongoo
> provides.

> I suspect moongoo probably was coded up in a few hours
> during a night, as proof of one concept, not the whole concept.
<snip>

IMO, the one-way discussion and hope for perfect planning is stalling
development. The tool isn't finished, but it makes sense to write a
requirements list. I don't see the point in doing any further planning,
and it seems to me that an RL can be written in very little time.

This isn't a big project. There are two developers. Please,
let's give them what they need to code and get out of their way.

--
timothy(at)hive-project.org