language choice of alfs

TheOldFellow TheOldFellow at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 23:12:58 PST 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Boris Buegling wrote:
>
>> I don't want to sound rude, but as far as I know, we have two coders
>> right now, Jamie Bennett and myself, and we both agreed on using C, so
>> did you. If the other people making suggestions do not actually want
>> to take part in development, they shouldn't have a say on what
>> language it will be written in. It is important that the actual coders
>> feel comfortable with the language that is used, not the users. If the
>> decision will be against C, I will not be able to participate in
>> coding the new tool.
>

> Boris,
>
> I understand, and I had a feeling you would say something like this.
> That's why I stated my request the way I did.  You're right, we had said
> we would be going the route of C, but I want to make sure that is the
> best option, and I want clear reasons written down why it is our best
> option.  This is as much for the sake of documentation as it is for
> anything else.  I can even get you started... Unless I'm wrong, by using
> C, there's one less package to install (as opposed to python or ruby)
> just to be able to run the thing.
>
> --
> Jeremy Huntwork

Two things to say,

1) Developers are the only lifeblood a project has in the OpenSource
world.  It'd be different in a commercial environment - you could hire a
  different developer.

2) When I use alfs to build a system, the next thing I want it to do is
to build it on that system so that I can populate it.  There's a
principle here (my principle, since it's my system) I call it 'minimum
system to first boot'.  I'd prefer alfs in C, I'd also like it designed
so I can build a dietlibc static version to carry round with me.  If you
must go for an interpreted language, make it perl, 'cos I've already got
that.

That having been said, I volunteer to write it for you, but only in
Algol-60, and only if you provide the portable compiler. 360 Assembler
is good too.  ;-)

R.