language choice of alfs

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 19 13:25:01 PST 2004

Boris Buegling wrote:

> I don't want to sound rude, but as far as I know, we have two coders
> right now, Jamie Bennett and myself, and we both agreed on using C, so
> did you. If the other people making suggestions do not actually want
> to take part in development, they shouldn't have a say on what
> language it will be written in. It is important that the actual coders
> feel comfortable with the language that is used, not the users. If the
> decision will be against C, I will not be able to participate in
> coding the new tool.

Boris,

I understand, and I had a feeling you would say something like this.
That's why I stated my request the way I did.  You're right, we had said
we would be going the route of C, but I want to make sure that is the
best option, and I want clear reasons written down why it is our best
option.  This is as much for the sake of documentation as it is for
anything else.  I can even get you started... Unless I'm wrong, by using
C, there's one less package to install (as opposed to python or ruby)
just to be able to run the thing.

--
Jeremy Huntwork