language choice of alfs

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Dec 19 10:54:47 PST 2004

Roger Merchberger wrote:

> Does nALFS in itself actually use much processing time of it's own --
> enough to warrant coding in C versus Python/Perl? If an LFS build takes
> 8 hours 20 minutes vs. 8 hours 10 minutes due to overhead of a scripting
> language, but takes 8 months to finalize instead of 3 -- is it worth it?
> Or are some of the requisite tools necessary to complete the project
> nonexistant in the scripting langauges, making this point moot?

You've hit the nail right on the head, Roger. I suspect the net
difference in a complete LFS build would be nearly immeasurable,
certainly less than one minute on any reasonable hardware; on
unreasonable hardware, it might be more than a minute, but the build
will take so long it won't matter :-)

The real issue will be if this tool is used for post-build maintenance
of single packages, and it takes the tool a long time to load/parse the
profile. If that turns out be true, then at that point speed
improvements would need to be considered.