SRS

Jeremy Huntwork jeremy at jenacon.net
Fri Dec 10 06:33:04 PST 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> All,
>
> I have gone through the SRS as best I can on my own.  You can see the
> BZ entries for nALFS2 at
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=nALFS2Develpment
> and the SRS at
> http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=RequirementsDef.
> I need you all to look through it and make comments.  I especially
> need help with the following sections:

James,

I looked through those pages extensively, and you've done a great job so
far, many thanks. I intended to sit down and begin filling out some of
those items you mentioned as well, but there were a few blocker points,
it seems; a few things that haven't been completely decided yet and that
will affect what we list in your SRS.

1) The testing we've done on parsing the book as a profile shows that
it's both possible and practical, therefore I'd like to see this become
a standard feature. However, I don't think we're quite ready to ask the
current LFS editors to add our tags to the book, I'd like to have
something a little more solid first.  To that end, I propose that, for
now, we maintain diffs of the book that will allow us to parse it.

2) In using the LFS book as a profile, what sorts of standards or means
will we employ to add to or customize the build?  How will we do this?
By calling up an external editor in which we can insert our own
commands?  Parsing another external file?  Suggestions?

3) We need to finalize a development language. AFAIK, at this time we
are heavily leaning on C, but there has been nothing stated officially
that we will be using that to build our tool.  Looking at our wiki docs,
is there a better choice?

4) A comm protocol needs to be decided, or at least addressed, so that
we can work that into the Back-End design from the start.

5) To what extent does RelaxNG play a part? Esp now that we hope to be
parsing the LFS Book straight out, how will RelaxNG fit fully into this
picture?  I'd like to see something more concrete written out concerning
this.

Are there any other items that appear undecided to you?  I'm anxious to
be moving forward on this, so let's get the above and anything else
that's outstanding finalized now.

--
Jeremy Huntwork