Parsing the LFS book as a profile

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Dec 3 09:20:06 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 05:13, Boris Buegling wrote:
> Distributed-compiling doesnt alter the instructions afaik, so it should
> be possible, I'd also like to see that.

It depends on how you do it. I use distcc myself in my alfs profiles to
do the distributed bit, but i do modify the profiles. For one, I install
distcc in /tools after Glibc is installed. If you were to use an already
installed distcc it might not (very likely not unless you restart the
existing daemon which you may or may not be able to do) use
/tools/bin/gcc.

After I install distcc in /tools and make symlinks in /tools/lib/distcc
to /tools/bin/{cc,gcc,c++,g++} the profile starts a new instance of
distccd that runs on a different port and /home/lfs/.distcc/hosts is
modified to use localhost:50000 (or whatever port you decide to use).

So, some modification of profiles and /home/lfs/.distcc/hosts is desired
to make sure the right tools are used by distcc too. When you get to
chapter 6 you'd need to create /root/.distcc/hosts and reinstall distcc
after gcc, binutils and glibc and run it on a different port again (just
in case there's that first distcc running from the host system which may
not be a pure-lfs type installation).

If there's interest I can write up an email with the procedure I put
together. There's of course ten ways of doing it and I'm not saying my
way is right as perse. It's just *a* way of doing it that takes into
account a possible running distccd that's not to be trusted so I build
new ones.

--
Gerard Beekmans