Parsing the LFS book as a profile

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 2 13:00:36 PST 2004

Hi guys:

Neocool's been working on the possibility of using the LFS book as a
profile. This might be of use because it removes the need to maintain
separate ALFS profiles and there is hopefully much less overhead in
setting up a successful ALFS build.  His thoughts on this can be seen here:
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/index.php?pagename=BookAsProfile

Currently, he's built a simple parser that is able to parse a slightly
edited LFS book and extract its commands for use. His initial tests were
based on the LFS unstable branch, revision 4327. Here is a diff of that
revision of the branch and Neocool's adjustment:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jhuntwork/parsable.diff

The DOCTYPE edits were simply to speed up the parsing. The only
necessary changes to the book were implementing the role attributes and
some edits to <replaceable> tags for consistency.

If you'd like to see his work for yourself:

1) check out Neocool's parser, moongoo : svn co
svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/ALFS/dev/concept/moongoo

2) cd moongoo && wget
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jhuntwork/parsable.diff

3) check out revision 4327 : svn co -r 4327
svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/LFS/trunk/BOOK

4) cd BOOK && patch -Np1 -i ../parsable.diff

5) cd .. && make compile

6) ./moongoo BOOK/index.xml

You should see the output of the parsed commands from the book.

Anyway, I'd like to get some more discussion on this, because whether we
aim to use the LFS book or maintain our own profiles should be something
we have firmly in mind from the start.

Thoughts?

--
Jeremy Huntwork