some things to do...

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 2 08:10:41 PST 2004

Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> Right, and there is another issue that Archaic brought up back when
>> the bind-mount was part of the defaults in the profile: the files in
>> the source location may not be accessible to the "lfs" user that gets
>> created during the profile run, and they may be on a read-only
>> filesystem. In that case, using a bind-mount will fail, because once
>> chapter 5 starts (after switching the lfs user) the package tarballs
>> will be inaccessible.
>

> strange, i didn't noticed that ever ;)

I saw it too... when the original package source location is all owned
by "root:root", without world-read permissions. When the bind-mount is
used, the profile attempts to chown the files, and it can't (because
they are on a read-only filesystem). Even if you skip that step, the lfs
user can't read the files, because they are not world-readable.