some things to do...

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 2 07:51:45 PST 2004

Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>
>> Yep, and I would say, from a *default* perspective, that is what we
>> should hold to. I have nothing against keep the mount --bind option in
>> the profiles, but I don't feel it should be default.
>
> ok. as long as i can change it for myself :))

Right, and there is another issue that Archaic brought up back when the
bind-mount was part of the defaults in the profile: the files in the
source location may not be accessible to the "lfs" user that gets
created during the profile run, and they may be on a read-only
filesystem. In that case, using a bind-mount will fail, because once
chapter 5 starts (after switching the lfs user) the package tarballs
will be inaccessible.

Yes, you can arrange your system properly to avoid this problem, but
it's not part of the book, so as you all already agreed to, it shouldn't
be the default in the profile.