standard profiles and additional profiles [was: Re: some things to do...]

Daniel Baumann daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net
Thu Dec 2 06:41:27 PST 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> I was unaware that you were maintaining a current hint on that when I
> brought up the suggestion of including it in our profiles.  Seriously, I
> was not intending to step on anyone's toes.  If I had known you were
> doing that before I had done the work to modify the profile, I would
> have asked you to take care of it.  Please, if there are any adjustments
> to be made concerning what I have added to trunk, submit them.

but another question comes up: you remember the arguments last time when
we talked about integration of '-j' into the profiles?

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2004-January/004410.html
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2004-January/004412.html
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/alfs-discuss/2004-January/004414.html

what i want to say: is it your decision to integrate all the
'additional' feautures into the one-and-only-official lfs-profile?

if so, i would be unhappy. i personally would prefere to have a
standard, strictly just lfs-bare-build-profile (vanilla) which is the
original-stable-recommendet profile and for advaced users, to have
(maybe several) profiles which have the one or the other additional
feature, and, for those who can't get enough, maybe also one with all
the feautures.

reasons for that:

. additional profiles can be mainly maintained/developed by one person
each, and can be easily synced with the standard-profile
. additional features doesn't 'slow' down the development process of the
standard-profile/nalfs, otherwise you 'always' have to wait for a
release to get all the stuff ready

so i suggest the following:

. create one official lfs-profile just according to the lfs-book as we
did before.
. create one ore more additional profiles with additional features,
these ones comes in my mind atm: parallelcompiling, crosscompiling,
distributedcompiling.

Email:          daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net