building with -march=i486

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 30 10:11:46 PDT 2004

Hi Guys:

Requesting a bit of help here.  I might be doing something totally
screwy but since I've not really done an nALFS build before, I need a
little guidance, please. :)

I'm trying to build the current testing version on my i686 machine, I've
downloaded the most recent svn profile for the testing branch and I
edited the profiles to mactch the recent commits.

I'm using Jim's uname hack kernel module to build for i486 and I need to
use the matching CFLAGS option "-march=i486". In general.ent for
gcc_optimizations I have "-march=i486 -s -Os". In chapter05/binutils-
pass1.xml, I removed the environment variables that set CFLAGS to "" so
that binutils will be built with -march=i486, etc.  However, when the
build actually begins, CFLAGS still does not appear to be set, because
the first configure for binutils fails:

'checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
 configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.'

(gcc ) should be (gcc -march=i486 -s -Os)

if I exit nALFS and start building manually everything works.
I've even tried setting CFLAGS in the lfs user's .bashrc - again, CFLAGS
will be present if I manually build, but not with nALFS.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

--
Jeremy Huntwork