CFLAGS/Perl compilation problem / nALFS 1.2.4

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Tue Aug 24 09:21:54 PDT 2004

I'm adding Athlon XP gcc flags to CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS in my general.ent file
(LFS 5.1.1), and it's b0rking the compilation of Perl in Chapter 5. So, I
modified the perl.xml file's installation stage by adding this:

<stage name="Installation">
         <stageinfo>
                 <environment>
                         <variable name="CFLAGS" />
                         <variable name="CXXFLAGS" />
                 </environment>
         </stageinfo>

.
.
.

It's very similar to what the gcc-pass1.xml & other files have when they
need to disable any C[XX]FLAGS environment variables.

It seems when perl's ./configure goes through, that the C[XX]FLAGS
environment variables are indeed empty, but during compilation the extra
flags for gcc are still there, and the compilation still b0rks.

[[ Notes: PC is an AthlonXP 2400+, running Win2K, with a non-optimized LFS
5.1.1 running under Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. LFS 5.1.1 / nALFS 1.2.4
works *great* without any C[XX]FLAGS set, but I wanted to see what
improvements could be had with special C[XX]FLAGS - specifically,
--disable-nls & -Os, pilfered from the 'small LFS' hint. I'm trying to get
the distro to fit (easily) on a 256Meg CompactFlash. ]]

[[ Oh, and I do realize that I could just get rid of the C[XX]FLAGS
settings in general.ent for just a perl run, but I was rather hoping to
find out why it's doing this - I'm just learning about the profiles now,
and am hoping to write my own soon (for qmail & friends), and this is a bit
of a learning experience for me! ;-) ]]

Any ideas/hints?
Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | JC: "Like those people in Celeronville!"
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers | Me: "Don't you mean Silicon Valley???"