[OT] committing to svn

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 14 05:19:19 PDT 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:10:02 +0200
Joachim Beckers <jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One simple question: How do I set up subversion to let me ci my work?
>
> With cvs, one could export the CVSROOT and CVS_RSH (if I remember
> well) environment variables, and then everything would just work
> automagically. The problem is that subversion doesn't seem to have
> such a thing (well, I couldn't find it in the svn book...)
>
> Also, I remeber that I've read somewhere that you couldn't co
> anonymously and then ci as a registered user. Can someone explain some
> more about this?

I would have replied to you privately as you requested, but this is info
useful to all I think.

In order to be able to ci your work, you must be working over an ssh
connection, as a non-ssh connection will only pull a read-only working
copy down.  `svn co svn://host/path/to/repo` will check out a working
copy anonymously.  `svn co svn+ssh://host/path/to/repo`
will check out over ssh as a specific user, so you'll need an account on
belgarath if you want to be able to do this.

When you do check out a working copy, subversion records the path to the
repository (including the access protocol), so that commands like 'svn
up' can do their thing.  This is basically why you can't do an anonymous
co, and expect to be able to do a ci as a registered user (they use
different access protocols).

Hope this helps,

Matt.