nALFS2 Daemon and Front Split

Joachim Beckers jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 13 04:42:54 PDT 2004

Uriah wrote:
[..]
> Why do such a thing?  If the Daemon machine holds all the packages and
> profiles, and the worker can run off of just a floppy, one wont have to
> keep reburning CDs with profiles, or wondering which stab of your NFS tree
> to use.  Nor do you need a working OS in your target machine.

So actually what you're requesting is that nALFS could be started from a
floppy, right?

I would say that's impossible, for two reasons:
1. 1.44MB is just not enough to include everything that's needed
(kernel+init+bash+libxml+nALFS+openssh+curl/wget+...)
2. Floppies are old and the future is getting closer, bringing new media
to boot from (cdrom, dvd, usb sticks). Kernel 2.6 doesn't even support
booting from a floppy...

--
Joachim Beckers
Reg. Linux user -- #328931 -- http://counter.li.org/