nALFS2 Daemon and Front Split

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 12 10:15:11 PDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:42:36 -0700
"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> James Robertson wrote:
>
> > What "end" makes sure the profile is valid?  I would think back-end
> > daemon.
>
> Validation (true validation, against the schema) will likely be done
> outside nALFS completely, as it is now. I don't have any opposition to
> building a validation mechanism into the frontend, but I wouldn't want
> it to run every time a profile is loaded, or it will slow down the
> client quite a bit.

Well, I was surprised at how quickly Relax-NG validation was compared to
DTD validation.  When validating the LFS book against the docbook-rng
schema I didn't think it had done anything as it was that quick.
Removing an end tag to produce obviously invalid XML soon proved me
wrong!  In short, I don't think users will notice at all if the client
was to validate a profile before doing anything with it.

Cheers,

Matt.