requests for nALFS2

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 11 06:45:10 PDT 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> will still have to be supplied. Just specify the filename and :-
>
> 	<unpack>
>
> <reference>ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/gzip-1.3.5</reference>
> 		<archive>&source-dir;/gzip-1.3.5</archive>
> 		<destination>&build-dir;</destination>
> 	</unpack>

Well, this is not a backwards compatible change, so it'd have to be
documented well :-)

The problem I see with it is as long you are supporting downloads, you
pretty much have to do digest checking. The download process can fail
for so many reasons, and a lot of them don't get passed back into nALFS
for it to know that the failure occurred. The digest check is the only
way to ensure that the file present is what it is expected to be.

Let me suggest another alternative: how about some kind of wrapper
element that would be used to specify that only _one_ (any one) of its
child elements need to be successful. Sort of like {or}, except not
conditional execution. This could be used to wrap _two_ (or more)
{unpack} elements, one for each compression type that the package is
distributed in. Each one would have all the information needed to
process the package, and if one succeeded the profile could continue on
ignoring the one(s) that failed. If they all failed then the profile
execution would stop as it does now.