nALFS programming details

Kendrick kendrick at linux2themax.com
Tue Aug 10 23:25:05 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> James Robertson wrote:
>>
>>> I have seen too many development projects go to crap because the
>>> team did not think the whole pie out before hacking out code.  If we
>>> get the whole set of features/requirements down on [virtual] paper
>>> with details as to what we are thinking about, this will really help
>>> us down the road.
>>

>> This is true, but we also have to realize that since this is a
>> volunteer effort there is only so far we will be able to take the
>> analysis before it's time to start building testcases and
>> demonstration programs.
>>
>> We don't have the luxury (burden) of working as part of a contracted
>> development team where we must follow a rigid path from requirements
>> analysis to implementation... that's both good and bad.
>

> I agree, but I still think we need to noodle this a bit more before
> selection of programming language, libraries, etc, for the real "go".
> Demos and testbeds can be done in anything like you said and can start
> now AFAIAC.  I am all for that.
>
>>> With this information in hand, we can come up with a clear roadmap
>>> as to what happens when, what programming language will be used,
>>> toolsets/libraries selected to fit our needs.  We can use scripting
>>> languages (like what Kevin said) to build quickie proof of concept
>>> stuff to help flesh out our ideas, but those would happen during the
>>> requirements definition phase.  Some scripting languages could be
>>> used later for different clients, but that is not really an issue -
>>> what is an issue is having a clearly defined direction that we all
>>> agree on before writing any real code.
>>

>> Agreed.
>

> Kewl
> James

I think what he was saying in a previous message was part of the proof
of concept's intention was to also better define what is actually needed
from the programing language,  so that when it IS time to decide we can
be much better informed as to  the specifics of what the language must
do so we can select the language that best fits our needs for nalfs.