nALFS programming details

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 10 17:15:07 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> I have seen too many development projects go to crap because the team
> did not think the whole pie out before hacking out code.  If we get the
> whole set of features/requirements down on [virtual] paper with details
> as to what we are thinking about, this will really help us down the road.

This is true, but we also have to realize that since this is a volunteer
effort there is only so far we will be able to take the analysis before
it's time to start building testcases and demonstration programs.

We don't have the luxury (burden) of working as part of a contracted
development team where we must follow a rigid path from requirements
analysis to implementation... that's both good and bad.

> With this information in hand, we can come up with a clear roadmap as to
> what happens when, what programming language will be used,
> toolsets/libraries selected to fit our needs.  We can use scripting
> languages (like what Kevin said) to build quickie proof of concept stuff
> to help flesh out our ideas, but those would happen during the
> requirements definition phase.  Some scripting languages could be used
> later for different clients, but that is not really an issue - what is
> an issue is having a clearly defined direction that we all agree on
> before writing any real code.

Agreed.