requests for nALFS2

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 10 17:09:15 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> 1) I'd like to see nALFS identify packages independent of the method in
> which they were compressed (gz or bz2), and then extract them
> appropriately.  If you've downloaded the gz and the profile calls for a
> bz2, you either have to go and download the bz2 or edit the profile.
> Tedious. nALFS2 should be smart enough to make that distinction.

This has been brought up before, but until someone can describe a syntax
for this behavior that actually works it cannot be implemented.

Any potential syntax for the {unpack} element must support (at least)
four things:

- the name of the file to unpack
- where it is located
- where it can be obtained from if it is not currently there
- a digest to check the file against

I do not see how there is a syntax possible that can describe all of
this without fully specifying the filename, including all extensions
that indicate packaging/compression formats. Granted, the current
"official" profile does not include any download URLs, but that is no
reason to change the ALFS syntax to work around this particular problem.

If anyone who wants this feature can describe a simple, understandable
syntax that would work for the {unpack} element (and also for the future
{patch} element that supports compressed patches), please speak up so we
can all benefit from it. Previous discussions have ended with no result.