nALFS programming details

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 10 10:27:26 PDT 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> Right, now I'm back from my business trip I really want to get the ball
> rolling on fleshing out the idea's we've had so far.
>
> As for communication protocols between the client and server I'm
> inclined to do as Kevin suggested and use a well know standard even if
> it seems a little overkill at the moment. If its done properly first
> time then even if the project grows into something more than what we
> envisage it at the moment we should have all the bases covered. After
> doing a lot of reading on what would be best I've come to the conclusion
> that SOAP is what nALFS2 should be using.
>
> For validation RelaxNG will be used.
>
> XmlTextReader will do the parsing.
>
> If anyone has any objections or thinks we should be doing something
> different then say now before I fire up vi to do some coding ;)
>
>         --      Jamie

Let's get a good requirements/features document put together with some
detail on all the pieces we want.  The wiki is a fine place to put it
and continue to use the list to discuss pieces.  Jamie - are you keeping
the wiki synced with discussions?  This would be important to have one
person at least responsible for keeping those pages up to date.  I am
inclined to agree with Kevin that (from other thread) that we should not
be trying to have conversation in the wiki - I missed on that.

I have seen too many development projects go to crap because the team
did not think the whole pie out before hacking out code.  If we get the
whole set of features/requirements down on [virtual] paper with details
as to what we are thinking about, this will really help us down the road.

With this information in hand, we can come up with a clear roadmap as to
what happens when, what programming language will be used,
toolsets/libraries selected to fit our needs.  We can use scripting
languages (like what Kevin said) to build quickie proof of concept stuff
to help flesh out our ideas, but those would happen during the
requirements definition phase.  Some scripting languages could be used
later for different clients, but that is not really an issue - what is
an issue is having a clearly defined direction that we all agree on
before writing any real code.

James