nALFS programming details

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 07:59:17 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote on 10 August 2004 15:23
> Jamie Bennett wrote:
>
>> If were talking other object-orientated languages then what about C#?
I've
>> been playing about with it on another project (dashboard) but is it too
much
>> to have a dependancy on such a non-standard language? (mono).
>
> I like C# quite a bit, it's the nicest language I've used for developing
> Windows apps.
>
> If there was an open-source compiler that could compile to native code,
> for all the major CPU architectures, I wouldn't rule it out. However, I
> don't think we want to mandate having to install mono on a build host
> just to run nALFS2, that would be quite a burden (although mono's
> runtime could be smaller than I'm expecting, I've not looked at it).

Thats a real shame because the more I use it the more I like it. I've looked
at the network/socket programming bit for the first time today and within an
hour I had a client/server program communicating nicely.

I've read somewhere on the net that a minimal mono runtime is ~2mb mark but
I haven't found out any more evidence of this yet. It seem like such a good
tool for the job.

	--	Jamie