nALFS2 development

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 9 16:17:01 PDT 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> Ok, so nALFS2 should support Relax-NG aswell. Would this be used instead
> of a DTD or to compliment it?

Note that nALFS itself does not currently do any validation or ask for
any DTD validation at profile loading time, it only checks that the
document is well-formed. What we are talking about is what validation
means we will support for ALFS syntaxes beyond 3.2 (and maybe even for
3.2 itself), since the validation occurs outside of nALFS (or any other
ALFS tool, for that matter).

The new schema (what Relax-NG uses) would completely replace the DTD. As
it stands right now, the DTD cannot adequately express what is a valid
document and what is not, because there are combinations of conditions
in the syntax that DTDs do not support. We may choose to change some of
these items because they are actually poor syntax choices, or we may
leave them and mandate that the only way to validate a new profile will
be via a Relax-NG schema.

I'd like to see someone even try converting the 3.2 DTD (that has not
been released yet) into a schema, so we can work out exactly what
improvements can be put into it.