nALFS2 development

Kendrick kendrick at linux2themax.com
Sat Aug 7 20:12:01 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>
>> You're right.  You'd still need a few other tools. /sbin/init is a good
>> example.  I was trying to get a feel for what kind of size we're talking
>> about downloading, whether it was a conceivable pursuit, which is why I
>> said the /tools dir is *essentially* what is needed. ;) It would grow
>> with the other tools, but I don't think by a whole lot.  Any suggestions
>> on how to further streamline?
>

> As mentioned in another part of this thread, I think I'd focus on
> using the uClibc/busybox "buildroot" package to build a root
> filesystem that would have what's needed to build LFS. I don't know
> whether it's actually possible to build LFS from a uClibc host, there
> was a report on another LFS list that someone was having trouble with it.
>
> If uClibc doesn't work, then certainly putting busybox into the
> initial system image would cover pretty much all the bases. So you'd
> have /usr, /bin, /sbin, /etc containing only busybox-provided bits and
> pieces (statically linked against uClibc, but no uClibc files present)
> along with nALFS, and /tools with a complete chapter 5 built ready for
> the chapter 6 chroot command.

evandius from irc had the original uclibc howto/hint for lfs and droped
it after a little while due to some major headaches he was having with
it.  I dont think we could use it for a lfs base unfortunatly. It may
have changed but i doulbt it.  it may compile for lfs but I dont think
glibc will from it or some other crucail stuff.