nALFS2 development

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 7 07:35:18 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> You're right.  You'd still need a few other tools. /sbin/init is a good
> example.  I was trying to get a feel for what kind of size we're talking
> about downloading, whether it was a conceivable pursuit, which is why I
> said the /tools dir is *essentially* what is needed. ;) It would grow
> with the other tools, but I don't think by a whole lot.  Any suggestions
> on how to further streamline?

As mentioned in another part of this thread, I think I'd focus on using
the uClibc/busybox "buildroot" package to build a root filesystem that
would have what's needed to build LFS. I don't know whether it's
actually possible to build LFS from a uClibc host, there was a report on
another LFS list that someone was having trouble with it.

If uClibc doesn't work, then certainly putting busybox into the initial
system image would cover pretty much all the bases. So you'd have /usr,
/bin, /sbin, /etc containing only busybox-provided bits and pieces
(statically linked against uClibc, but no uClibc files present) along
with nALFS, and /tools with a complete chapter 5 built ready for the
chapter 6 chroot command.