nALFS2 development

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Fri Aug 6 14:54:55 PDT 2004

Once upon a time (on Friday 06 August 2004 14:52), Jeremy Huntwork wrote :
 > Not sure how easy this would be to implement, but a thought just sprang
 > to mind while reading these recent posts.  It would be nice to be able
 > to start an automated install on a network client that has no host
 > system.
[--SNIP--]

Here is a little of my ideas/whishes for nALFSv2 :

nALFSv2 shall be able to make a full cross-compilation (and not only
x86-only cross-compiling). That would be most usefull to use for a
target that has no OS installed.

I'm in the process of installing LFS on a vintage Sun SPARC IPX, which
has no HDD as well. And cross-compiling for SPARC becomes a bit tricky.

On another post, someone spoke of a minimal system to download as a
kind of stub, to then download a full toolchain. Why not use busybox?

I've had to do this kind of thing for a disk-less machine. I used the
cross-compiling (x86 only, though) hint and built a busybox-based
system (compiled against glibc, not against uClibc), with gcc and
necessary tools, made it available through NFS, and then built a full
LFS system from this stub system.

By the way, Iwas unableto compile glibc on a uClibc-based system.
Any one has an idea why?

Regards,
Yann.

--
|  Yann E. MORIN  | Real-Time Embedded | /"\   ASCII RIBBON            |