nALFS2 development

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 6 07:37:05 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> This can be avoided. You don't need the toolchain, etc in the initramfs.
> What I was suggesting was only that initramfs sets up a net connection,
> formats the hd, and then downloads the toolchain, libraries, etc from a
> dedicated server.  You would certainly want to keep the initramfs as
> small as possible, many of these functions I'm sure could be built into
> a C init.

Ahh, OK, I had missed that part of your message. That would mean
creating some type of "temporary" filesystem on a local disk, which
would then have to be removed once the real build was completed, right?
The only other option that I see would be to download this minimal
system (really it would be a base LFS plus nALFS) and then do a new
build over the top of it, but I've never been comfortable attempting that.