nALFS2 development

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 6 07:26:13 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 07:20 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> I don't think you could have enough of a host environment available via
> an initramfs or initrd, because it takes quite a bit of space for a
> toolchain, perl, libraries, etc. Also keep in mind that if they are
> loaded via initramfs/initrd they will be pinned into memory, unlike
> accessing them via NFS.

This can be avoided. You don't need the toolchain, etc in the initramfs.
What I was suggesting was only that initramfs sets up a net connection,
formats the hd, and then downloads the toolchain, libraries, etc from a
dedicated server.  You would certainly want to keep the initramfs as
small as possible, many of these functions I'm sure could be built into
a C init.

As far as a cd goes, our next one will include nALFS and profiles... ;)

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net