nALFS2 development

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 6 07:26:06 PDT 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> I think we have the same idea here. I was thinking of running nALFSd on a
> dedicated profile compiling server and have clients across the network run
> nALFS2. The server (nALFSd) would compile the profiles selected by the
> clients (nALFS2) to the clients network mounted drive. Maybe a bit ambitious
> and I'm trying to convince the people who want it to not want it. Its not a
> show stopper though.

OK, I see what you're driving at here, but I agree that it's really not
a good idea. The "compile server" would have to mount the client's
entire root filesystem (or least /bin, /sbin, /usr, /lib, etc.) and then
chroot into it to do the builds, otherwise it wouldn't be using the
toolchain present on the client. That would be tricky to manage.

> SAX allows for actions to take on entry/exit to a entity which would make
> things alot easier for actions such as only checking dependacies, only
> downloading and verifing, only extracting <description> tags e.t.c based
> on state information.

That is ideal then, it sounds like SAX is the way to go.