nALFS2 development

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 6 07:22:56 PDT 2004

Jamie Bennett wrote:

> 	# nALFS2 --update
>
> type command that they can schedule each night which will update and patch
> their packages for them. Currently I have to roll a new profile for them
> to either update or patch packages and either email them it or get them to
> run a profile which downloads a tarball from my server, unpacks a new
> profile,

Yes, that would be interesting. Obviously this requires saving quite a
bit of "state" information about what has been installed, but since
that's already needed anyway... It also means remembering where the
profile pieces came from so nALFS2 can look to see if there are newer
versions, and dealing with new dependencies (for example, what if the
bash upgrade from 2.05b to 3.0 had required a new library?).