nALFS2 development

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 6 07:20:59 PDT 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> Not sure how easy this would be to implement, but a thought just sprang
> to mind while reading these recent posts.  It would be nice to be able
> to start an automated install on a network client that has no host
> system.

I do this now for all the systems I set up. I insert a CD that has
ISOLINUX and a kernel image on it, the kernel loads, mounts a root
filesystem via NFS, and I get the build started.

I don't think you could have enough of a host environment available via
an initramfs or initrd, because it takes quite a bit of space for a
toolchain, perl, libraries, etc. Also keep in mind that if they are
loaded via initramfs/initrd they will be pinned into memory, unlike
accessing them via NFS.

However, NFS has a performance impact, since every access to the
toolchain has to go over the network. Once an LFS build gets into
chapter 6 this is a non-issue, obviously, but it certainly slows down
the chapter 5 build somewhat.