nALFS2 development

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 00:57:23 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote on 06 August 2004 02:58
> I missed a really important point here: I see great value in being able
> to provide a "profile repository", something that could be a public
> server (the LFS team could have one, as could anyone else), where you
> could connect using the nALFS front end of your choice and pick profile
> bits that you wanted. This could be a big project by itself, given that
> it would need to support some sort of "packages" of profile bits that go
> together, versioning, and other stuff, but it would be really, really
cool.

This is the main reason why my customers are wanting some kind of formal
package management tool. I had a lot of spooked people with the slurry of
package vunerabilies at the moment and they're crying out for some kind of

	# nALFS2 --update

type command that they can schedule each night which will update and patch
their packages for them. Currently I have to roll a new profile for them
to either update or patch packages and either email them it or get them to
run a profile which downloads a tarball from my server, unpacks a new
profile,
and they have to run that to do the update.

	--	Jamie