nALFS2 development

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 5 18:57:38 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Ahhh... parsing. I don't much care whether it's SAX or DOM, because I
> don't see any reason for profiles to continue to be monstrous combined
> entities. Rather, I'd like to see each package be in its own profile,
> and nALFS can be told to load a whole bunch of them and them sort them
> into a usable order (based on dependencies, stage names, etc). This will
> require nALFS to be able to feed entity values into the parser (which
> can be done with libxml2), and this is good because there has been a
> need to be able to provide environment variable values as entities
> within profiles for some time.

I missed a really important point here: I see great value in being able
to provide a "profile repository", something that could be a public
server (the LFS team could have one, as could anyone else), where you
could connect using the nALFS front end of your choice and pick profile
bits that you wanted. This could be a big project by itself, given that
it would need to support some sort of "packages" of profile bits that go
together, versioning, and other stuff, but it would be really, really cool.