A Modest Proposal

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 30 14:43:51 PDT 2004

Brian Beattie wrote:

> I'm fairly new to LFS and ALFS so there are probably many things that
> I'm not aware of.  I have been getting to know nALFS for possible use to
> support a project I'm working on.  As near as I can tell nALFS is rather
> like a script based build, as opposed to a dependency based build.  What
> I mean, is that nALFS proceeds much like a shell script as opposed to
> the way make works.

As it stands today you are correct. However, the ALFS DTD provides
elements that can be used to implement a fully dependency-driven build
process, it's just up to the ALFS tool implementor to implement it.

nALFS is moving in that direction, but it will be some time before full
dependency management is ready in nALFS. If you'd like to help, you're
certainly welcome to join the group and get things moving in that direction.