Minor problem in BELFS profile

David Mascall lfs at mascall.dot.net
Fri Apr 30 08:54:31 PDT 2004

"Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:4092713A.7060102 at linuxfromscratch.org...
> David Mascall wrote:
>

> > Therefore all I was suggesting was that the "linux-config" file should
be
> > "versioned" in the profiles to make sure it matches the kernel being
built.

> Got a suggestion for how that would work?

Treat the config file sort of like a patch file ?

Remove it from generel.ent and put in package.ent at the same place as the
kernel
<!ENTITY linux-config "linux-config-&linux-version;"> ie
linux-config-2.4.25, linux-config-2.4.26, linux-config-2.6.5 etc

Download location is - "supplied by user" ? Include some instructions on how
to create by unpacking and running make menuconfig before running the
profile.

Using "Load an alternate config...." within menuconfig can use an existing
config file. ie a config file from 2.6.4 can be read into the menuconfig for
2.6.5. When saved on exiting, the resulting .config can then be used in
chapter8. Saves going through ALL the options each time :-)

Or perhaps a downloadable generic LFS sample .config file from each kernel
version that will at least allow chapter8 to run and the new system to boot
such that the user can then build a tailored kernel as the first thing they
do under the new system. Could be used by the book as well for those not
sure about configuring a kernel to at least get then started ?

Also a note should be added in the profile somewhere that chapter08 will
hang with a backlevel .config file ? Have no idea where though....in
kernel.xml ?

Dave M