[RFC] ALFS version control system

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 15 16:54:41 PDT 2004

James Robertson wrote:

> I remember that.  I got the idea that a lot of folks were against using
> a closed source tool.  I also recall though that BK is what the kernel
> team uses right?  If it is ok with them, how can I argue!

Some members of the "kernel team" (Andrew Morton in particular) do not
use BK, although honestly I don't know how he manages to do all that he
does without using it. Linus, Greg K-H and other "top" members do use it
for all their kernel work.

> Gerard is pretty opened minded.  I have admin rights on belgarath, so if
> G gives permission, I can do the install and initial repo setup.  I'll
> need help as I know zero about BK.  Heck, I am still getting used to CVS!

It won't be hard to set up; I will have to do some doc-writing to let
people now exactly how we would have users access it. Most likely we
would have three things set up: a public bkd daemon (for people to be
able to clone trees, but not make any changes), an ssh-equipped bkd
daemon (for LFS team members to be able to make changes) and a BK/Web
server for people to be able to browse the BK repos with a web browser.
There won't be any need to pre-create repos; as long as the "team"
directories are created with the right group permissions then any team
member will be able to create new repos in that directory via a shell
session to belgarath.

Once we get some more responses to this thread (hopefully), I'll put a
little time into this and put together a "working plan" for everyone to
peruse/criticize/etc.