[RFC] ALFS version control system

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 15 16:50:12 PDT 2004

Reinhard wrote:

> So the cloning can't be done without BitTracker.
> Some time ago I worked with a windoz-tool, that kept the absolut path of the
> sources in an repository - so you got struck with simple
> network-environments.

BitKeeper repos can be moved/copied around with impunity, I have done
that without any problem. If you copy the repo then it will have the
same "parent" as the source; if you clone a repo then the new one has
the source as its parent. Both methods have their applications.

> May be BitTracker is smarter on local cloning and merging, but the benefit of
> cvs is, that it works with the sources only (Well, some files in the
> CVS-subdirs, but they don't get involved in the merge-process.

It doesn't matter to me if the VCS tool has extra hidden files to do its
work with; in this case, CVS is limited by the fact that those files are
_not_ transferred via a checkout, which means that checked-out trees are
always "second class" trees (i.e. you can't check out from them, or
merge into them except from the master tree).