[RFC][CFV]: new BLFS profile maintainers needed

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 14 13:11:16 PDT 2004

Joachim Beckers wrote:

> - there is no offcial BLFS profile (only a really old one from Vassili
> Dzuba)

I have been hesitant to do this, but I think the time has come. I looked
at the BLFS profile in CVS, and it is very out-of-date. As the new ALFS
team leader, I think I must take some action here.

Currently Thomas Pegg and Jamie Bennett maintain the official LFS
profile, and they have done a good job keeping up with the book (partly
because the book has become somewhat stagnant, but that will be changing
soon). I have no idea what the BLFS book change volume is like as I
don't read those lists, but my instinct tells me that asking them to
also bring up-to-date and maintain the BLFS profile is too much :-)

I'm officially asking for volunteers to become the BLFS profile
maintainers; I believe we should have at least two, although three or
four is OK as long as they can coordinate their efforts amongst
themselves. If we get enough volunteers, I will notify Vassili that they
are taking over the profile maintenance and that he should expect to see
the profile change dramatically very soon.

The profile will need to be changed to work in a fashion more similar to
the existing LFS profile, but that is not a large change. Most of the
packages are out of date, and the chapter organization no longer matches
the book. In addition, when nALFS 1.3 ships (supporting DTD syntax 3.2),
I will want the profile to be updated to support the new syntax features
as quickly as possible. To be a maintainer, you will need to be able to
devote some time to this task, as well have a system you can run test
builds on frequently to make sure the profile still works correctly.